After a fire, there are huge, costly damages to deal with including the loss of important family heirlooms passed down through generations. Sure, there is value to counting your blessings when all family members and pets survive. And yes, you get to replace outdated appliances or redecorate anew. But a loss is still a loss and everyone reacts differently.
But, a house fire is traumatizing; the aftermath of which requires an extensive amount of time to recover. Rebuilding your home is essentially rebuilding life as you know it; careful not to repeat the same, careless mistakes that caused the fire. Statistics show that 30 percent of fires begin in the kitchen.
Here in Las Vegas, we know that most fires start in the kitchen or garage of a home. A fire is a devastating tragedy for the family. Copper Creek pulled together these fire prevention tips to help homeowners in Las Vegas lower the risks of a fire. Here are 10 safety tips to prevent fire damage in Las Vegas, NV.
Top 10 Tips to Prevent House Fires
Unplug Small Appliances
The kitchen is filled with small appliances that pose serious fire risks. For instance, a toaster or coffee maker not in use but still plugged in can overheat or malfunction. When a toaster turns on, it is likely to heat up deposited bread crumbs or other flammable items and ignite a fire. It is best to unplug all small appliances when they are not being used.
Keep Flammable Objects Three Feet From the Stove
When a person is preparing a meal on the stove, it is common to keep towels, oven mitts, and appliance cords nearby. However, when these items neighbor a hot burner, fire can spark. A safe rule of thumb is to keep flammable objects at least three feet from the stove.
Keep Children and Pets Away from the Stove
Under normal circumstances, small children and animals do not belong in the kitchen. They often distract the chef and can easily get hurt by pulling down hot pots or placing hands on burners. Kids often view the stove as a toy, so they play with the knobs, which unexpectedly turn on the stove top or oven. Without supervision, this can quickly lead to a fire.
It is imperative to teach children how to respect the kitchen. When kids are old enough to understand right from wrong, it is important to provide education about fire hazards associated with the stove and how to properly use this appliance.
Unattended cooking is the leading cause of kitchen fires. It is vital to remain cognizant of everything when the stove is being used. If it is necessary to leave the kitchen while preparing a meal, it is wise to turn off the appliance and remove all pots and pans from the heat. Also, it is important to turn off the oven when food is being broiled.
Wear Form-Fitting Clothes
Loose, long, and flowing fabrics are likely to catch fire if they brush over hot burners. It is advised to tuck in baggy shirts and wear form-fitting clothing. An apron should fit close to the body as well.
Keep a Fire Extinguisher Nearby
Since a kitchen is the number one room in the home where fires and fire-related injuries occur, it is smart to have a fire extinguisher nearby. It is the perfect tool to douse small fires without effort. However, it is vital to check the expiration date and make sure the unit is current. Also, it is crucial to understand the instructions before an emergency occurs.
Never Use the Oven to Warm a House
Firemen have long urged homeowners to never use ovens, ranges, or portable barbecues as sources of home heat. Leaving the door open on a propane or gas oven will release dangerous carbon monoxide into the air. Heating the house with an electric oven may lead to a fire. The heating elements are not meant for extended use. They overheat and spark a flame.
Do Not Throw Hot Grease in the Trash
We’re not knocking you for enjoying some fried food! However, please allow the cooking oil to cool before it is thrown in the trash. Even if the grease is not on fire, it can cause something in the garbage to begin burning.
Change the Smoke Detector Batteries
Every kitchen should have a functioning smoke detector. Usually, this type of unit runs on batteries. It is recommended to change these batteries two times a year so that the detector will work in times of fire.
Learn How to Put Out a Fire
Even when fire occurs, it is possible to minimize damages and injury. Understanding the correct way to put out a kitchen fire is key. If something is burning on the stove, it is best to place a lid over the pot or pan. This will smother the fire and keep the problem contained. It is never wise to throw water onto the stove or to move the flaming pan to the sink. Water tends to make a grease fire worse and moving the pot or pan may spread the fire to another part of the kitchen.
“Never throw water onto the stove. WATER MAKES A GREASE FIRE WORSE.”
Since most house fires originate in the kitchen, it is important to be proactive and try to prevent these types of emergencies. Copper Creek Construction promises that when homeowners adhere to the above tips, the number of kitchen fires will be readily reduced. Taking measures to prevent fires protects the home and its residents.